New Business Guidelines for Energy Onsellers

Posted on 19 Dec 2012

Please note: this is an old article

It was published in December 2012, so the information may be out-of-date.

The Australian Energy Regulator is calling for submissions on a new guideline for business. The guideline covers businesses that onsell energy to their customers.

Onselling, or reselling, occurs when a business buys energy from a retailer and then sells it to their customers .
Small businesses that are typically involved in onselling include caravan park owners, retirement homes or landlords of apartment or shopping centres.

  • The Exempt selling guideline covers:How to register with the AER if you sell energy
  • Your rights and obligations if you onsell energy
  • Your rights and obligations if you buy energy from an onseller.

The guideline can be found on the AER website. Submissions close on 11 January 2013.

The Australian Energy Regulator (AER) is responsible for regulating retail exemptions, including onselling or reselling.

Under the new National Energy Retail Law, all people or businesses who sell energy must either have a retail authorisation, or a retail exemption.